Rio Tinto Iron Ore
Pilbara Region, Western Australia, Australia
The major objective of the Marandoo Optimisation project was to increase throughput from approximately 12Mtpa to 15Mtpa with ore that was being mined with progressively higher levels of moisture.
Calibre was appointed as the engineer to conduct a three-month study during which the following was critically examined:
- Mine and plant operations
- Performance of the process plant, which included site observations and testing
- Mine plan and ore types expected over the mine life
- The proposed scope of work, and
- Process control systems.
Further to the study recommendations, our team:
- Recommended the planned addition of a second scalping screen be excluded from the scope as it would be adverse to plant performance
- Recommended the planned replacement of the vibrating feeders with belt feeders be excluded from the scope
- Recommended splitters for the lump and fines products to match the revised lump/fine ratios
- Replaced product screen mats
- Updated the process automation system
- Upgraded the major conveyor drives to debottleneck, and
- Replaced transfer chutes to better handle the “wetter” ores.
The project was completed on schedule and under budget.
BHP Billiton Iron Ore Process Control Network (PCN) Remediation
Moranbah Coal Handling and Preparation Plant (CHPP) Permanent Maintenance
BHP Billiton Coal Operational Technology Service Management